What are the Benefits of Riding?
More Than Fifty Good Reasons For Cycling
- Cycling increases mobility for those who don't have access to motor transport.
- Cycling increases mobility for those who don't qualify to drive a car.
- Cycling increases mobility for those who can't afford motor transport.
- Cycling increases mobility for those who don't want to drive motor vehicles.
- Cycling is the most efficient form of transportation ever invented.
- You get exercise from cycling.
- Save travel money by cycling.
- Reduce stress.
- Cycling is therapeutic for the mind & spirit.
- Cycling is therapeutic for the body.
- Your commute will be the best part of your day instead of the worst part of your day.
- Cycling improves self-esteem.
- Save on the membership to a health club, get your exercise cycling to work.
- Cycling is low impact on the body.
- Cycling is low impact on the environment.
- Cycling in your neighborhood is a great way to meet your neighbors.
- Camaraderie of cyclists makes it a great way to meet a nice stranger with a similar interest.
- Cycling can ignore the traffic reports.
- Feel the self-satisfaction of cycling past a traffic jam in the bike lane.
- Predictable commute time.
- Easier parking.
- Cheaper parking.
- Leaving your car at home provide a parking space for someone less fortunate.
- If you are lazy, your bicycle provides door-to-door transport (you do not have to walk across a vast parking lot).
- Reduce demand for parking lots.
- Reduce energy consumption (see below).
- Reduce air pollution -- cycling emit few gases.
- Reduce water pollution -- Bikes don't drip brake fluid, anti-freeze, transmission fluid, etc.
- Reduce noise pollution -- Even without a muffler bikes are quiet.
- Reduces road wear -- Even if cyclist feel like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders.
- A four mile cycling trip keeps about 15 pounds of pollutants out of the air we breathe.
- Prevent and protest the sanctioned murder (homicide by motor-vehicle) of responsible citizens.
- Bikes small profile reduce congestion.
- Motor vehicle emissions cause more than half of the northwest's air pollution.
- Reduce need to lay additional asphalt and concrete.
- Easier to vary your route by cycling.
- Cycling improves cardio-vascular health.
- Better muscle tone, bone mass improvement, clearer skin.
- Healthier people have lower health care expenses.
- New cycling commuters can expect to lose 13 pounds their first year of bicycle commuting.
- The exercise increase your productivity at work.
- Increased bike uses generates bike facilities which increase property values.
- Cycling gives you more fresh air than a sauna and you can still sweat and clean your pores.
- Bicycle commuting is a license to dress weird and still feel smug.
- Urban cycling keeps you humble.
- Cycling is virtually life long activity.
- Cycling can be enjoyed in a wide variety of topography.
- Cycling can be enjoyed in a wide variety of climates.
- Bicycles are a great means to see the world.
- Cycling is cool.
- Cycling is fun.
How efficient is Cycling?
Here is an explanation using eggs: A cyclist burns about 25 Calories per mile. One large egg supplies 80 Calories.
A cyclist can travel about three miles on the energy of one egg:
A person walking would require three eggs to go the same distance:
A loaded bus requires the equivalent of two dozen eggs for each person it carries three miles:
A train requires the equivalent of three dozen eggs for each person it carries three miles:
A car that gets 12.5 miles per gallon requires the equivalent of seven dozen eggs to carry one person three miles:
Even if you double the miles per gallon and double the occupancy a car will still use the equivalent of twenty-one eggs to make the trip -- more than twenty times a bicycle.